John Wynn


28th October 1932 – 10th April 2020


Read more

- 1943. Wynns were the first company to have a 100-ton 'split frame trailer' most of which was built at Robert Wynn and Sons own workshops in Shaftesbury Street, Newport.

- 1949. Wynns were the first company to put 100 tons on pneumatic tyres. This load was a 114-ton transformer, transported from English Electric in Stafford to the Fulham Road in London.

- 1953. Wynns were the first company to use hydraulic suspension trailers. Trailer 333, a 16 wheeler, was brought from Cranes Dereham in March 1951 at a cost of £14,000 but with no guarantee. Its capacity was 120 tons but with the new technology it handled the 150-ton Staythorpe transformers, the heaviest yet at that time.

- 1957. Wynns were the first company to use German Scheuerle and French Nicholas hydraulic trailers in the UK.

- Late 1950s. Wynns were the first company to build a 'steerable dolly', using an obsolete ERF unit chassis for carrying long loads such as pre-stressed concrete beams. This was followed by the conversion of two Diamond T's and then in 1980 a lightweight Scammell contractor.